Wedding Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Saint Paddy's Day!

We have had two floods in the building in the past couple of weeks.  First, my friend Joe ran a reaction under reflux with a condenser all day and it didn't leak.  He came back to work at 10:30pm to check on it and it wasn't leaking.  But sometime between 10:30pm and 8am it sprung a leak and the water went through the floor and dripped down into a lab on the third floor.  The prof down there was a little pissed and came up to tell us so.  It could have been worse.  As my boss says, "We could have burned the building down".  Way to look on the bright side.

Then a few days later someone upstairs tried to neutralize a reaction in a separatory funnel which is made of glass and the solution was ether.  So as the acid/base reaction took place and generated a bit of heat the ether expanded......and exploded the sep funnel.  The students had to pull the shower to be safe.  And the shower up there has a shower head that is about ten times larger than your standard shower head.  The water drained down into my boss' office and he put a big trash can under the flow, covered everything with plastic and took off.  hahahahaha

In both of these cases there is no drain system in the floors.  What are people thinking?  How hard could that be to include in building plans?  Especially under a shower, no drain???  I can only imagine the vast expanse of my ignorance over why there must not be a drain present.

And yesterday I tried to use our lab PC to see how our website looks on another computer http://jones.cm.utexas.edu and I couldn't get the computer to turn on and it kept beeping at me.  I love my Mac.  So Joe tells me this morning that someone stole the RAM out of it.  What the hell?  We try to keep our doors locked when no one is in there so how did that happen?  The amusing thing is that it was only $20 worth of RAM and there are lots of other things much more worthy of stealing over there.  People are nuts.

What is next????  Somehow that reminds me that I need to back up my computer.  The last thing I need is to come to work and find it gone and everything that I haven't backed up gone as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe someone stole your RAM. Crazy college kids! Jen