Wedding Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mary and PJPII Encyclicals

I found another blog today that I can appreciate. I originally discovered it by reading a post at Father Z's site. The author has my name and linked to Lauren's name is her blog, Cnytr. I found this image as one of her posts with an extraordinary comment that I felt compelled to borrow and post for my own cataloging.

This image is from a 1957 breviary and the comment is: Mariology in a graphic form: Not shining in glory of her own, but reflecting that of Christ. I think the statement is beautiful and accurately depicts how I feel about our Holy Mother and how it should be easy to understand why we love her and give her so much reverence.

My father asked me to read Pope John Paul II's apostolic letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae to the bishops, clergy and faithful on the most holy rosary. I have read it and found richness to it. I am encouraging you to print it off and read it as well. My father has a special love of the rosary and everything Marian in nature. When I was young we visited the Holy Spirit Center in Norwood, Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati) on August 31, 1999 to see the last appearance of Mary. There were hundreds of people there and it was very prayerful and exciting. At midnight a series of beautiful lights played over the grounds signifying that she was present. I'm sure that as a teenager I was skeptical and I didn't talk much about it to my father but looking back on it I am happy that he wanted to go and that he wanted me to go with him. I remember going inside the church and studying a statue of Mary. This statue was amazing! It looked like a real person was standing before me. I have never forgotten that moment. So was someone playing lights to make people believe? I don't know. Nor do I care. I'd rather believe it was truly Mary's presence. I am skeptical of people, not of God.

And, he recently sent me a link to John Paul the Great's encyclical letter on the Eucharist and its relationship to the Church. I haven't read it yet but I imagine it will be more than worthwhile.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, thank You for the many blessings in my life, Father Zuhlsdorf, the writings of Pope John Paul II, and my father's love of the Blessed Mother. I have several major role models and people of great influence in my life who I am blessed to know. Thank You for their presence, I don't know where I'd be without them. In Your name, I pray, Glory to the Father...

No comments: